Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Word Freak by Stefan Fatsis

Hmm. I'll need to check the spelling of his name ...

I actually finished this on Saturday, but with all the excitement of Christmas I haven't got round to reviewing this one yet!

I found this book in a second hand shop, reduced a number of times until I eventually bought it for 50p. I actually had a friend in mind when I bought it, and still hope to pass it on to him. This book is all about competitive, professional Scrabble, and since our friend plays competitively I thought he might also enjoy it. I play living room Scrabble occasionally with my husband, and I have found this a very insightful book. However, I wouldn't let my husband play some of these words, and I wouldn't expect him to let me play them either! It's quite amazing, thinking about how people memorise so many words and anagrams.

I played against my husband again tonight. If he had opened the game and played an R, I could have got a bingo with CREDITOR. But I had started ... Later I had ErOTICA, but again, nowhere to put it. Two bingos but no cigar. My husband won. 297-218. Not the sort of score that is mentioned much in this book ... !

No comments: