Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Like the Flowing River by Paulo Coelho

Paulo Coelho always writes interesting books. I love The Alchemist, which was for me, like many others, the first of Coelho's books that I encountered.

This book is a collection of reflections, often less than a page in length. Many of them are very moving. Some are funny. There are quite a lot of "life's like that" ideas, which I suppose in shorter form could grace the pages of the Reader's Digest magazine, although that seems quite flippant when writing about Coelho!

One of my favourite images was that of comparing a pupil to a pencil: 1) the pencil is guided by a hand, as we are by God; 2) sometimes the pencil needs to be sharpened - this brings suffering, but makes the pencil sharper, and better; 3) we can rub out the mistakes a pencil makes - correcting a mistake is a good thing; 4) what matters is not the wood outside but the graphite within; 5) the pencil always leaves a mark - so do we. We should consider what that mark is ...

A Christmas present from Mum, I will probably dip back into this ... I'm sure there are some assembly ideas in there!

2 comments:

Nzeru Louisa said...

Great to have a visitor! There will be more reviews on Paulo Coelho coming up, since he has two books on the 1001 books to read before you die list, and The Alchemist must get reviewed at some point, surely?!

I've read:
The Alchemist
The Pilgrimage
The Zahir
Veronika Decides to Die
The Devil and Miss Prym
Like the Flowing River

and at least a couple of other ones (Valkeries ... ?) which I can't remember off hand.

Thanks for the tips about his website!

Anonymous said...

Nzeru Louisa, welcome! =)
check it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paulo_Coelho
;)

best!