Sunday, February 11, 2007

The Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad

What a coincidence that this one should come next! We watched Apocalypse Now again a few nights ago, and it continues to amaze me that I was foolish to pass up on the opportunity to watch this at uni while I was studying the novel. I suppose loud, violent war movies didn't appeal to me then, even if they would have added a slant on the literature I had to study.

My favourite line?

`The last word he pronounced was - your name.'

Marlow to Kurtz' fiancee.

When he had actually said ... "The horror! the horror!" I always thought that was full of meaning. I mean, obviously "the horror" is full of meaning, but the implication that his Intended could also have been part of that horror. I've just been reading some interpretations, about how Marlow has managed to lie in order to protect the woman, but I've always thought it was an indictment on her. The Heart of darkness.

No comments: