Thursday, July 26, 2007

Northern Lights by Philip Pullman

I had not really fancied reading this first book in Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" trilogy. I think perhaps because of the width of some of the books, which looked quite long, because of the controversy, the comments that it is anti-Christian, because of the fact that it is fantasy, with daemons, witches, and other such creatures.

However, facing a long tube journey, I decided that now was the opportunity. I would have nothing else to do for 20 minutes - perhaps I could make a start.

And start it I did - that was noon yesterday, and by around 10am this morning I had finished it.

I really enjoyed hearing about Lyra and Pan's travels and adventures, with her alethiometer, the gyptians, a bear clad in sky-metal, trying to rescue Roger and the other children that had been kidnapped by the Gobblers, who were facing the horrors of intercision, and trying to escape from her mother while trying to reach her father. A story of betrayals and heroic actions.

I have now started on "The Subtle Knife", in which Lyra is joined, a few days after "Northern Lights" finishes, by Will, from our universe. More later ...

No comments: