Friday, March 20, 2009

The View From Saturday by E.L. Konigsburg

I wanted a nice, easy, feelgood read as I travelled north by train for a weekend visit to my auntie. Popped into the school library just before the end of the day, as the librarian was packing up for the night, so had to grab a couple of books, with only the covers for inspiration. So I picked up two, and I am delighted to say both fulfilled the categories I was hoping for.

The View From Saturday reminded my of a book I have not read, which has been made into a film I have not seen: Slumdog Millionaire. The conceit of the book is the final of a national student quiz competition. The question is asked, then one of the four main character tells a story that reveals how they know the answer. The lives of the four eleven year olds in the story are gradually revealed to be intertwined, and the Year 6 school quiz team seems to be brought together through either serendipity, fate or magic.

Very enjoyable and easy read. I also learnt about turtles ...

No comments: