Monday, March 09, 2009

The World's Wife by Carol Ann Duffy

It's a long time since I read poetry. It's even longer since I read a poetry book in one day. And I'm not sure if I've ever enjoyed a book of poetry so much.

The thirty poems in this book take well known tales (or at least tales that should be well-known; I'm not convinced many of my pupils would know them all) that have traditionally been told from the male point of view, and, well, not exactly retell the stories from the wives' points of view, but give a different viewpoint anyway. I particularly liked the brevity of Mrs Darwin, but the poignancy of Anne Hathaway, writing about her and Shakespeare's second best bed, was beautiful; Mrs Faust made me laugh out loud (even though I've never read the original: I knew enough to know that she was insightful here) and Mrs Icarus raised a smile.

I read a number of poems to H in bed; he wasn't too keen at first to hear them, and thought that one would be enough; however, he let me read four or five of them and enjoyed them too. I enjoyed being able to read them out loud, to hear the rhythm, rhyme and assonance.

I had heard of this book before; it had come highly commended by a friend - I can't remember by whom. I would highly recommend it myself. And I would be interested in reading more of Duffy's poetry. Go on - give it a go!

No comments: