Saturday, June 25, 2011

Monsters of Men by Patrick Ness

And so I quickly came to the final installment. Monsters of Men is another one of the short listed books for the Carnegie Medal. In act, I've just checked and discovered that it is 2011's very worthy winner. (I'm glad I read it first without knowing that!)

This has been a truly fantastic series. There is so much fantasy and yet so much realism within the story of Todd and Viola. The characters, which include animals as well as different types of beings, are clearly drawn and every incident shines vividly within the imagination. I have lost myself in these books. I have escaped - if "escaped" is the right word to describe journeying to a land where women are branded, where animals talk, where everyone is caught up in a war and has to make life and death decisions, where you are at a risk of being controlled without your knowledge.

What an imagination Patrick Ness has. And how good of him to share it with the rest of us.

No comments: